I’d once read somewhere that the ultimate aim of mankind is to be happy. Everything a person does is with the aim of making himself happy directly or indirectly. But often during this pursuit of happiness, we forget to be happy. Yes, you heard me right. We forget to be happy, to be happy in this moment, to be happy today. Someone rightly said “ Happiness is not a destination. It is a journey.” Here are some sure-shot ways to help you feel happy on a regular basis.
- Gratitude : One interesting way to be cheerful for the rest of the day is to begin your mornings with a grateful heart. We all have amazing things in our lives which we take for granted. Acknowledging them will surely boost your positive outlook on life.
- Expect less : Expectation without a doubt, is the only cause of disappointment. And disappointment, as you probably know, directly cause unhappiness and even depression. Eliminate excess expectations from your life. If something is meant to be, it will happen.
- Practice forgiveness : Living with a vengeful heart won’t do you any good than making your life miserable. What makes you think that revenge will give you happiness and peace of mind? Believe me, it won’t. Practicing forgiveness not only makes you a better person, but also gives you true happiness in the long run.
- Set goals : Now this may sound completely unrelated, but setting goals for yourself in different spheres of life – personal, professional and social – and working hard to beat them will improve you as a person, boost your self esteem and eventually make you happier.
- Exercise : It is scientifically proved that exercise releases the ‘happy hormone’ endorphin and also helps you to sleep better. Need any more reasons to hit the gym?
- Hangout with friends : Friends – old or new, male or female – are a blessing from God. They make you feel loved, give a shoulder for you to cry on and rejoice in your happiness. Don’t you feel super elated when you come back home after a wonderful day/night out with your friends?
- Love yourself : I have saved the best for the last. Loving yourself is probably the best selfish thing you can do. I personally feel my absolute best after I give myself a pampering long shower with good music and candles by the side. But that’s just me. You may have some other way of making yourself feel like a queen (or a king). Whatever it is, do that and see the wonders work for yourself.
P.S. – I’ve always found the word ‘happy’ to be really funny. Just say out loud, H-A-P-P-Y. Doesn’t that make you smile? What a wonderful word!